Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The Making of Journey of Happiness (Game)

Some campers came over in the camp and questioned me about the details of making this game. I guess this blog would be a great place to share about the Behind the Scenes with all of you.

Many of you might have thought that I created the game. In fact, God is the creator of this game. He works through me to have the game done. One night in June, before Monica and I attended the Program team meeting, we had dinner in a Japanese restaurant. I told Monica that we had to prepare the “homework” for the team meeting, so we were scratching our heads and were trying to think about some good team building game ideas. All of a sudden, this game idea popped in my mind. Then, Monica and I discussed the details while we were eating the Hamachi sashimi. In several hours, we had all the instructions and some scenarios created. With my limited ability and creativity, it is humanly impossible to have all the key components and game instructions done in such a short period of time, unless it is done by God.

The hardest task in making this game is to create about 50 Obstacles scenarios. The planning team spent over a month to get this task done. In July, I was surrounded by Monica’s inflamed appendicitis surgery and heart-breaking and devastating family issues. It was one of the most difficult periods of time in my life. I was in serious doubt about God’s existence and presence during this suffering, yet I had to plan this game called Journey of HAPPINESS. What a sarcasm! I was so bogged down by my sufferings. I soon realized that the only way I could stop thinking about my own issues, and could find a moment of peace was to persistently serve God by planning this game. Therefore, I kept on doing it. You might not know, about 25% of the Obstacles scenarios happened on me recently.

In the camp, God, through Fr. Chan, told me that I could still be happy even during sufferings. God revealed my journey of happiness when I saw all the happy faces from the campers when they were playing the game, and when they told me they enjoyed the game very much. I finally realized that I was so blind during this whole game planning process.

Thank you Lord that I can see You again!

No comments: