Thursday, September 6, 2007

It just meant so much more for me this year.

My feeling towards WCCCLC this year is spread across the last 8 months of meetings, craziness, hair pulling, promoting and conflict. But in all this mess, an inner feeling was gradually growing that eventually was expressed during the camp.

In our daily lives, we learn to trust ourselves and be independent. We don't always trust people around us to get the job done, so we inadvertently start trying to step in and finish for them. This not only causes conflict between the parties, but also discourages others from helping in the future. Now, lets raise this a notch. As we grow up, we don't learn to trust God because he seems unpredictable and doesn't answer. I am totally guilty of this and now am I only starting to take those baby steps to build a level of trust with God. There are so many cases in which God as acted and I have not noticed until now.

Being Promotion Coordinator didn't guarantee that I was going to enjoy the camp to the fullest, but it instead opened a new window to see the bigger picture from a different perspective. The bigger picture this year were the smiles on campers' faces throughout the camp. From Friday to Monday, I could see God working through everyone of the campers to bring smiles to their faces. And eventually share this joy and happiness with others at the camp. It is not important for me for someone to come up to me to thank me for telling them about the camp, what is important to me was to know that they have found God in their lives and God in one another.

Sharing WCCCLC with all the planning team members was just amazing. It is not that I am familiar with the people, it is more that I have created a stronger bond between the planners and myself. We all had gone through such a rough Journey this year, and to experience the grand finale together exponentially increased my awareness of God's love for me and those around me. I couldn't resist hugging people around me to express peace, gratitude and love.

The groups sharing sessions we had on Sunday were a huge highlight for me. Not because I could express my opinion, but I could listen to others share and grow spiritually with my group. We would start and stop each session with prayer, and it was during these prayers that I felt really close to God and my team. The strength of prayer groups was clearly demonstrated from this. I am really hoping that next year, we get to do some more sharing =)

P&W and Taize was even better this year. The short talking between each song seem to enter my spirit more deeply. The warm tingly feeling took over my body several times due to the touching prayers and music. I felt that I really couldn't stop myself from singing.

And though maybe the campers didn't care as much, the camp fire and core team sharing was another of those wonderful moments. Every core team member gave a very touching sharing and I couldn't stop smiling while listening to each of them talk. I was so excited to share my spiritual growth with the core team. There was nothing bad I could say about the Core team because they were with me the whole way. This was probably the best way for me to thank them and God for this unanswered prayer. One of my favourite quotes was "just because he doesnt answer doesnt mean he dont care. Some of gods greatest gifts are unanswered prayers". This year's WCCCLC and Core Team was that unanswered prayer of mine. God knows what is best for me, who am I to question some of the obstacles he throws at me. He gave me this wonderful core team and planning members to walk this difficult journey with me and showed me how it all came together at WCCCLC.

To me, it is not enough for me to just participate. Serving and helping others and God is the extra bonus that we can choose to take, why not take it? God has demonstrated to me that I am capable of doing his will, I am the one that needs to have faith in the path he is setting in front of me. I won't be alone. Not when there are many other brothers and sisters out there going in the same direction.

I have to thank everyone on the Core team. And I have to apologize for taking the easy post of Promotion. I have to thank Promotion team. Gary for providing the constant support throughout the year. Joseph, the most wonderful unsung promotion hero. Dominic, for taking care of all the online registration, Walter for reaching out to the SFX crowd, Simon Kwok for managing the website, Yvonne for lending a hand whenever you were in town, Dilyn for MCing at Open camp and pre-camp, Kevin for promoting at CMCC and being MC, Jonathan for leaving me no choice but to take the promotion post and getting us access to Corpus Christi and Christine, for showing the patience of a wonderful girlfriend through such difficult times. Tony, Monica, Gabby, Susanna and Andy, thank you for giving me the chance learn to grow in God together over these past 8 months.

Everything came together on Monday, during commissioning mass. After singing the first line of "Song of the Cross", I couldn't sing anymore because my eyes were filling with tears. God was there with all of us and I could hear him telling me to trust him. Even if the road ahead seemed rough, he wanted me to continue on, to give myself up to him and to others, to lend my hands to God, to serve, and especially to share his love and happiness.

3 comments:

Gary Tam said...

Simon T.,
*hug* (as you said you like to hug and being hugged). Another reason why it meant so much more to you because you have stepped out of your comfort zone to perform "Shine Jesus Shine" for us. You certainly brought lots of energy to the team. Keep this fire burning. =)

Tony Leung said...

Thanks Simon for your warm and genuine sharing. I do appreciate your dedications in Promotion team in the past 8 months. Remember: "God will not select the prepared but will prepare the selected..."

btw, Will you upload your "Shine Jesus Shine" movie clip to our blog to share with our brothers and sisters?

Alan and Teresa said...

Simon, I'm touched by your sharing, and it reminds me of a quote I read at a retreat centre: We ask God for what we want; God gives us what we need. God has clearly given you what you need! Not only that, your generosity in responding to God's invitation will be repaid 100x.

Keep shining for the Lord! (ok, lame pun intended here :p)

Alan